Funding Available for Students Beginning in September 2019
I am excited to announce that I have funding available for up to 4 graduate students (Master’s and Ph.D.) for studies beginning in September 2019. I have a number of research projects that require curious, passionate, and innovative graduate students. There will be opportunities to help shape the research and to work in a mixed-methods setting.
- Recreation Specialization, Social Networks, & Environmental Worldviews. This study examines people’s outdoor recreation preferences, and investigates the roles of recreation specialization, social networks, and environmental worldviews in shaping these preferences. This study also investigates the relationship between outdoor recreation participation and conservation behaviour.
- Birdwatching project
- Rock climbing project
- Waterfowl hunting: Understanding recruitment, retention, and reactivation of hunters.
- The number of waterfowl hunters has been decreasing across North America since the mid-1970s. Waterfowl hunting provides meaningful interactions with nature, and can provide important support for wetland and waterfowl conservation. This study uses the theory of planned behaviour to help understand hunting engagement (or disengagement) and explores the role of social networks in waterfowl hunting participation.
How to Apply
I can supervise students in the Faculty of Kinesiology, Sport, & Recreation or in the Department of Resource Economics & Environmental Sociology in the Faculty of Agricultural, Life & Environmental Sciences at the University of Alberta.
- Please get in touch with me by email (harshaw [at] ualberta.ca) about your research interests and background before applying.
- Applications to study in the Faculty Kinesiology, Sport, & Recreation can be started and submitted here. The deadline for applications is February 1, 2019 (11:59pm, Mountain Time Zone).
- If you are interested in studying in the Department of Resource Economics & Environmental Sociology, please get in touch with me by email. Information about this Department and graduate program, and application process can be found here.